Vaping has become more prevalent because it’s perceived as a healthier alternative to smoking cigarettes. Vaping does not produce smoke, so no harmful chemicals are inhaled into the lungs. In addition, many people believe that vaping is less addictive than smoking cigarettes. However, one concern that often comes up regarding vaping is secondhand vapour, much like secondhand smoke is to cigarettes.
Secondhand vapour is exhaled by a person who is using an electronic cigarette. Secondhand vapour comprises predominantly propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerin-based (VG) liquid, which are the base materials of an e-liquid. While the health effects of secondhand vapour are not yet fully known, some studies suggest that it may be harmful, especially to children and pregnant women. Few people know how this works, so we'll discuss the details in this article.
More about Secondhand Vapour
Secondhand vapour is not the same as secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is the combination of smoke from a burning cigarette and the smoke exhaled by a smoker. On the other hand, secondhand vapour does not contain any smoke. Secondhand vapour does have some of the same chemicals found in secondhand smoke but at much lower concentrations. The main chemicals found in secondhand vapour are propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin-based liquid, nicotine, and flavourings.
Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin-based liquids are the base of all e-liquids and are used to create vapour. Propylene glycol is the main ingredient in most e-liquids, which makes a "throat hit" similar to cigarettes. Vegetable glycerin-based liquids are used to create a sweeter, thicker vapour. Nicotine is the addictive substance found in cigarettes and other tobacco products. Nicotine is also found in some e-liquids. The amount of nicotine in an e-liquid can vary depending on the brand because some don't have it.
Health Risks of Secondhand Vapour
There are several health risks associated with secondhand vapour, including:
- Nicotine addiction - Nicotine is a highly addictive substance, and it can be harmful to your health. If exposed to secondhand vapour, you may risk becoming addicted to nicotine.
- Respiratory problems - Inhaling secondhand vapour can irritate your respiratory system and lead to issues such as coughing and wheezing.
- Cancer - Some chemicals in secondhand vapour, such as formaldehyde, have been linked to cancer.
- Heart disease - Some chemicals in secondhand vapour, such as nicotine, can increase your risk of heart disease.
- Congenital disabilities - Some chemicals in secondhand vapour, such as nicotine, can cause congenital disabilities.
- Other health problems - Secondhand vapour can cause other health problems, such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea.
Avoiding Secondhand Vapour
If you vape or live with someone who vapes, you can do the following to protect yourself and your family:
- Don't allow vaping in your home, car, or other enclosed spaces.
- Make sure your family, friends, and others know that you don't allow vaping in your home.
- Ask visitors to your home to go outside to vape.
- Talk to the person who is vaping about the risks of secondhand vapour.
- If you are pregnant or have young children, ensure you don't allow vaping in your home or car.
- If you can't avoid secondhand vapour, spend less time around it.
- If you have asthma or other lung problems, spend less time around secondhand vapour.
When it comes to vaping, you should only use products tested for chemicals and contaminants. This is necessary because vaping can potentially expose you to harmful chemicals and pollutants that can be damaging to your health. By only using products that have been tested and are known to be safe, you can help protect yourself from potential health risks.
You should also avoid using vapes that produce a hotter vapour. This is because hotter vapours can contain more harmful chemicals than cooler vapours. If you are using a vape that produces hot vapour, you should ensure that you use it in a well-ventilated area to help reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals.
Vaping is an excellent alternative to smoking, but you must vape wisely. Secondhand vapour can pose significant health risks, so you must take steps to ensure you're not exposing yourself to harmful chemicals and pollutants. When you vape responsibly, you can enjoy the benefits of vaping without putting your health at risk.
If you’re looking for vape kits in the UK, V8PR has what you need! We offer different variants such as pen, sub-ohm, and compact kits, all for affordable prices. Simply go to our website and take your pick!