There are few things less enjoyable in vaping than taking a hit from your device only to find that the taste is burnt and dry. Worse is when you open it up to find your coils burnt. If you’re new to vaping, a burnt coil might cause you to visit your local vape store to replace it (or maybe the device), but that is not necessarily the best solution. Usually, a burnt coil just needs a little tender, loving care.
Understanding the underlying cause behind a burnt coil
In most cases, the issue lies in the cotton surrounding the coil. That material serves as the wick. It draws liquid from the tank and puts it close to the heating element. The heat then warms the juice and turns it into vapour. More often than not, the dry burning of a coil happens when the device is used while the tank is not full.
Generally speaking, the lifespan of a coil (and the vape itself) depends on how much you use it. Heavy users should expect to replace their coils once a week, while more casual vapers can make the coil last for up to a month. A moderate vaper should expect to be somewhere between this, at around two weeks.
It also depends on the manufacturer of your device and the coils, as many different makers have different methods and use various materials. Check with your local vape store about these details for a better understanding.
One of the first things you have to consider (especially if you are regularly burning out your coils) is your habits. Have your vaping needs gone up? If so, could the solution be fixed by having a bigger tank? Are you chain vaping or failing to soak your cotton? Any of these and more can contribute to burnt coils.
How do I fix it?
If you want to reuse your burnt coil, follow this procedure to a T:
- Soak your burnt coil in warm water for a few minutes. This is to soften up any e-juice residue still on it.
- Pour out the warm water and immediately add cold water. This should cause the e-juice residue to crust off and peel away. If no permanent damage has been done to the coil, then it should be as new.
- Air-dry the coil completely before putting it back in.
- As a secondary measure, make sure to deep clean the coil head and tank by washing them in a bowl of hot water mixed with vinegar or lemon juice.
- Don’t forget to prime your coil before using your vape once it’s reassembled.
- Enjoy your vape and coils brought back to life.
It is important in the life of any machine or device to regularly maintain its parts and components. Another consideration in this regard is making sure you use it properly, according to its specifications.
Vapes are no exception to this rule. If you want to make the most out of your vape and its parts, make sure to follow its maintenance guidelines and make appropriate repairs if necessary.
If you burn your coil, do not fret. You might just be able to save it with the aforementioned process.
If you need new vape coils and other parts from a UK-based online vape shop, send us a message at V8PR. We have a great selection for vapers of any experience level.